The St. Tammany Parish Retired School Employees' Association (STPRSEA)
St. Tammany Parish Legislators
Rep. Scott M. Simon, Dist. 74
P. O. Box 1297
Abita Springs, LA 70420
(985) 893-6247 fax
Rep. Harold L. Ritchie, Dist. 75
302 Louisiana Ave.
Bogalusa, LA 70427
(985) 730-2149 fax
Rep. Paul Hollis, Dist.104
P.O. Box 1862
Mandeville, LA 70474
Rep. J. Kevin Pearson, Dist. 76
1349 Corporate Square, Suite 6
Slidell, LA 70458
(985) 646-6489 fax
Rep. John M. Schroder, Sr., Dist. 77
522 N. New Hampshire St.
Covington, LA 70433
(985) 893-6261 fax
Rep. Timothy G. Burns, Dist. 89
1 Sanctuary Blvd., Suite 306
Mandeville, LA 70471
(985) 624-4496 fax
Rep. George Gregory Cromer, Dist. 90
P. O. Box 2088
Slidell, LA 70459
(985) 645-3594 fax
Sen. A.G. Crowe, Dist.1
646 Carnation St.
Slidell, LA 70460
(985) 645-3566 fax
Sen. Jack Donahue, Dist. 11
P.O. Box 896
Mandeville, LA 70470
(985) 727-9904 fax
Sen. Ben Nevers, Dist.12
724 Avenue F
Bogalusa, LA 70427
Dear Senators and Representatives:
Public education retirees in St. Tammany Parish fully understand the economic difficulties facing our country, our state, and our fellow citizens, because retirees face economic struggles also. While we recognize the difficulties you face in serving the people of Louisiana and at the same time wrestling to balance the state budget, we implore you not to balance the budget on the backs of public school retirees, many of whom have small retirement pensions and no Social Security.
We urge you to maintain the defined benefit retirement plan for public school employees as currently administered by the Teachers’ Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL). Specifically, we urge you to:
· keep in place theTRSL defined benefit retirement plan for past, present, and future public education employees, in both traditional and nontraditional public schools;
· work to prevent any action that would negatively impact the actuarial soundness of the TRSL;
· work to prevent any action that would dilute the resources or identity of the TRSL through consolidation with other state retirement funds;
· work to ensure that members of TRSL control its investments; and
· support measures to meet the State’s obligation to reduce the Initial Unfunded Accrued Liabilities of the TRSL, without negatively impacting public education systems,programs, or public education retirees.
Thank you for your earnest consideration of this matter of critical concern.
Here's a sample Retirement System letter and
State Legislator contact information
1.Highlight the entire letter.
2. Copy the letter onto your computer "clipboard" (Command c on a Mac or Control c on a pc).
3. Paste the letter into a blank email.
4. Change it as you see fit. If you choose to write your own original letter, of course you will not need to cut and paste the attached sample letter to the email.
5. Copy the email address of your state legislator at the left, then paste it into the address box on your email.
6. Remember to fill in the Subject box.